Sunday, March 1, 2009

Say it ain't so, Joe!

It's official: Trader Joe's has no plans for opening a store in Newport Hills at this time, according to company spokeswoman Alison Mochizuki. According to the Bellevue Reporter dated Feb. 18, she says: "Right now it's not on our two-year plan, but things change all the time."

Written by Joshua Adam Hicks, the article states that residents of Newport Hills are looking for "a selection of organic, imported, vegetarian, and gourmet products, as well as the Trader Joe's label itself, which includes every thing from soap to unusual frozen foods."

Like other residents, I find myself making the commute to Overlake once a week to pick up groceries at the nearest Trader Joe's stores.

"Myself and many of my neighbors are serious when we say 'We want a Trader Joe's in our neighborhood'" says one resident.

Another notes, "It has a lovely organic selection. It provides an excellent alternative to the other mainstay chain grocers."

Based on these comments, I wondered why the Puget Consumers Coop has no Bellevue store, and whether they'd be interested now that TJ's has spurned our pleas. Several commenters in this blog have echoed this, so I thought I'd find out if we could get on their radar.

First, I had a look at the flyer I received in the mail yesterday. I've been a member for over 25 years, but haven't figured out how to find the Kirkland store and though I know there's one in Issaquah I haven't been there in a while. Their flyer offers recipes, as well as natural extra lean ground beef and Rosie Organic whole chickens for $2.99/lb A deli, latte stand/seating, books and kitchen accessories. A lot of starts for your garden. Soaps, vitamins at a "great price".

It sounds good--best of all, they don't seem to require the large traffic volumes that TJ's requires for all of it's stores. They thrive in small neighborhoods throughout Seattle.

The board will be at the Issaquah PCC Saturday March 21 from 11 am to 1 pm for a "talk to the board" session. Think I'll check it out.






No comments: