Monday, December 28, 2009

Merry Christmas from Newport Hills


Every year, on the Saturday before Christmas, Newport Hills has had a tradition of hosting a firetruck to weave through every street in the neighborhood, siren blazing, followed by a station wagon bearing oranges and candy canes for the kids.


This year, the truck was not in the budget, but we made do with the ever-cheerful Sandi Tampa (with the bullhorn in the backseat), who gamely shouted out the names of residents as she and newly-elected Newport Hills Community Club president Michelle Hillhorst made their way in an open-air Bug. I was very impressed, although I couldn't stop for long as my neighbor and I were on our way to see Black Nativity at the Intiman Theatre. They must have been freezing! There was also a sleigh with Santa and his elves tossing oranges and candy canes following behind. Aah, the simple pleasures!



What really impressed me no end was the follow-up to Santa's tour: the first-ever holiday bazaar held outside the empty Red Apple. Talk about freezing! These brave pioneers are sowing the seeds of community right where we most need it, and when it's most needed: on the first anniversary of the store's closing. Talk about spirit! And hope for the future! And amazing knitted tree ornaments! It was rather short notice for participants, but I can feel my inner Martha tuning up already in anticipation of next year's event. Maybe I can pay off this year's gifts with the proceeds...these photos are from the Newport Hills Community Club blog and I'm pretty sure were taken by our ace blogger, Grace Whiteaker.





No comments: